If you have bought a modern refrigerator that doesn’t have a water line, there’s no need to panic. All the latest refrigerator come with ice makers and water dispensers. You can easily connect them to the water line of the house. The procedure is quite easy and simple. Many people can manage things themselves and don’t require any professional help to do this. You can fix a refrigerator water line and avoid wasting your money with a little assistance and the right information. All you need to do is take into consideration the kitchen area, location of the house water line, and the refrigerator model.
You need to attach the water dispenser and ice maker of your new refrigerator to a water line. If you look behind the fridge, you will find a water valve that can be used to bring cold water to the fridge. In case there is no water valve behind the fridge, locate the nearest water pipe to bring water to the refrigerator. There will be a water connect behind the wall or under the floor of the kitchen. Once you have found it, use a drill to gain access to the water pipe. Use a flexible water tube to install a water valve that will control the flow of the water. You will need a few tools and equipment to install your refrigerator water line. Ideally, this task will take around an hour or two to complete.
You will need the following materials to start:
• A stop valve
• A screwdriver
• A water line cutter
• A pipe tee made of copper or PVC and flexible tubing
• Cable clamps
• A drill with the right drill bits.
• A pipe of around 4 inches (10.16 centimeters).
Once you have everything you need nearby, follow these simple step-by-step instructions to get the job done. Remember to check around your refrigerator first. There may be a supply valve installed already. If it so happens that your fridge has a water supply valve, you will only have to join it to the refrigerator valve. But sometimes, there is no water supply coming to the fridge. If this is the case, you will have to make it reach there.
- Step 1: Locate the closest cold water line that runs through the floor or the wall. This will be the water line that will be used for the fridge. If there is no independent water supply line, you can use the water supply that leads to the sink or dishwasher. Select a vertical pipe instead of a horizontal pipe if you can have a choice. This will help the flow of water to the fridge.
- Step 2: There may be a water line in an adjacent bathroom if the refrigerator is still the other end of the room across your kitchen sink. Turn off the main water supply before you start anything because you will have to drill a hole in the water pipe. Try to drill the hole as much as you can at the center. Take care bot to drill too hard. This may create another hole all through to the other side of the pipe.
- Step 3: Drill a hole through the cabinet or flooring. This is so that the flexible tubing can have the most direct route possible to the refrigerator. If you have to drill through a wall, take care not to damage any other existing connections.
- Step 4: empty the valve carrying cold water. Next insert a T into this line. Use appropriate coupling pieces, a soldering iron or cement to complete this step. Attach a short pipe to the tee, and a stop valve to the end of that pipe. The material you need will depend on whether you’re using a PVC pipe or copper pipe. The process ahead will also depend on the materials you have chosen to use.
- Step 5: Use the water valve or the saddle valve that came with your fridge water line kit. Attach it to the cold water pipe using a screwdriver and the clamps that came with it. Attach this valve over the hole you drilled. Tighten the screws on the clamps until the sealing washer or gasket is swelled up. The sealing washer works to prevent water leaks. You must be sure to tighten it until it swells and covers the hole.
However, take care not to tighten any of these clamps excessively. Turn on the water supply and test the connections. This will ensure that the tee, the pipe and the valve have no leaks. If you’ve recently attached any copper pipes, do not go ahead until the parts are cooled Excessive force can distort the copper piping.
- Step 6: Open your fridge water line kit and take out the plastic water tubing. You can start working on the refrigerator line, which you will have to install properly. Before installing the refrigerator water line, you may have to drill a hole through the wall or under the floor. This may be necessary to get the other end to the water valve. You may also need to shift the refrigerator a little away from the wall. Remember to keep a little extra water tubing rolled up at the back of the refrigerator. Next insert the tubing right through the drilled holes. Continue doing so until you are able to reach the place where your refrigerator will be.
- Step 7: Now connect the refrigerator to the other end of your water tubing. After you connect finish connecting, open the water line kit and put the pressure nut and the ferrule onto the plastic water line. When that is done, carefully attach the water line to your refrigerator water inlet valve. Take care that you do not over tighten any screws throughout the process. This can lead to cracks or similar problems.
- Step 8: Finally turn the water on at the water valve and check for water leaks. In case you find any leaks in the installation, simply tighten the nuts or the screws a bit. Never over tighten any screw on the water valve. Do it only slightly, only until the leakage stops.
- Step 9: Tighten the stop valve after you attach the flexible tube to it. Next up, attach cable clamps to the adjacent wall to secure the flexible piping there. These clamps will not allow the piping to hold fast. Let the tubing fall freely to the floor, especially when it nears the refrigerator.
- Step 10: If there are no leaks, everything should be fine. Turn on your refrigerator and the ice maker. When the ice maker makes ice, throw the ice away for the first or the first 4-5 times. This is because the ice will contain debris from inside the tubing. There will also be some contaminants in the fridge/freezer that must be removes. If you have a water dispenser, let it dispense about a liter of water and throw the water away. By doing so, you will be cleaning out any remaining debris that was left back during the entire process. That’s it. You have successfully connected a water line to your refrigerator and also doubled its worth without extra charges. The fridge will be able to work seamlessly, dispensing filtered water and make ice at the same time. At the end of the day your fridge will be completely altered with an ice maker and water dispenser working perfectly, the way you want it.